Domestic Energy Performance Certificates – PJC Homes

Domestic Energy Performance Certificates

Buildings are responsible for almost 50 per cent of the UK’s energy consumption and carbon emissions. That’s almost twice that of cars and planes.


Since October 2008 a Domestic Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) has been a legal requirement for;

  • New build homes
  • Homes available for sale
  • Homes available for rent


The requirement for an EPC has been set by a European Directive which all member states have to implement. It is one part of a number of measures to improve energy efficiency and cut down carbon emissions.


The certificate shows the Energy Efficiency Rating which is a measure of the home’s overall efficiency. The certificate also lists actions you can take to save money on energy bills and approximate savings costs.

Each rating is based on the performance of the building and its services (such as heating and lighting), rather than the domestic appliances within it. The ratings will vary according to the age, location, size and condition of the building.


Domestic EPCs are produced using standard methods and assumptions about energy usage, so that the energy efficiency of one building can easily be compared with another building of the same type. This allows prospective buyers, tenants, owners, occupiers and purchasers to see information about the energy efficiency and carbon emissions of the property, so they can consider energy and fuel costs as part of their investment.


We will inspect your property and collect the necessary data which will typically include;

  • Date of construction
  • Wall and roof construction
  • Type of make of heating systems
  • Type and thickness of insulating materials
  • Details of windows
  • Details of low energy light bulbs
  • Measurement of the house
  • Domestic EPCs can only be produced by accredited energy assessors.


Commercial Energy Performance Certificates


Buildings are responsible for almost 50 per cent of the UK’s energy consumption and carbon emissions. That’s almost twice that of cars and planes


Under the European Union Performance of Buildings Directive (EPBD), it is now a legal requirement for all commercial property to have a Commercial Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) when it is;

  • Constructed
  • Sold or let
  • Designed or altered to be used separately
  • Subject to a lease assignment


An EPC provides an energy rating for a building which is based on the performance potential of its fabric and services. An energy rating from A to G is produced, where A is very efficient and G is least efficient. The better the rating the more energy efficient the building is and the lower the fuel bills are likely to be.


Recommendations are detailed in an accompanying report on how to improve the energy rating. The recommendations are for guidance only and there is no requirement to act upon them. However, taking action on the recommendations is likely to improve the energy efficiency of the building, cut its carbon emissions and cut fuel costs.


An EPC, along with its accompanying recommendation report, must be made available for the property to a prospective buyer or tenant at the earliest opportunity and in any event when written information is requested or when the building is viewed.


An EPC is valid for 10 years, or until it is replaced with a newer one. During temporary this period a landlord or vendor can provide the same EPC to prospective tenants or buyers.


Only qualified and accredited Non-Domestic Energy Assessors are able to produce valid EPCs. The assessor will need to carry out the following to produce an EPC;

  • A comprehensive survey
  • Detailed measurements of the property
  • Ascertain the construction and use of the property
  • Identify the heating, cooling, ventilation, hot water and lighting provisions


There are exemptions to having the certificate and the following buildings do not require an EPC;

  • Places of worship
  • Temporary buildings with a planned time of less than 2 years
  • Stand-alone detached buildings with a gross internal area of less than 50 sq. m
  • Low energy demand buildings (such as barns)
  • Buildings due to be demolished


There are penalty charges for failure to produce a valid certificate and responsibility for enforcement falls with Building Control for new build properties and Trading Standards Departments for all others.


For further information please call us on 01656 654328 or email us on