Tenant FAQ’s – PJC Homes

Tenant FAQ's

At the start of your tenancy and during your tenancy

Who do I speak to if I have a problem with my tenancy?

If your property is managed by Payton Jewell Caines please call the relevent office below, email your enquiry to rentals@pjchomes.co.uk, or contact your local team directly.

T: 01656 869000 – Bridgend

T: 01639 891268 – Port Talbot

If your property is not managed by Payton Jewell Caines you will need to contact your Landlord directly.



What references do I need to get?

For all lets we utilise an external referencing company who will obtain a credit reference report that checks your financial standing, income and employment and will contact your previous landlord (if appropriate). You may require a guarantor should your income to rent ratio not be sufficient or if you have had previous credit problems. You must make the negotiators aware of any previous poor credit history before applying for a property.



Who is responsible for contacting the utility companies after I move in?

Payton Jewell Caines will inform the utility companies when you move in however it is your responsibility to ensure that the bills are set up. If the property is not managed by Payton Jewell Caines, then it is your responsibility to inform all utility companies.


How do I pay my rent?

For all lets you will be asked to set up a monthly standing order with your bank.


At the end of the tenancy

How do I serve notice to vacate my property?

Notice would need to be served in accordance with your individual lease agreement by recorded delivery to Payton Jewell Caines offices or by emailing rentals@pjchomes.co.uk. The agreement should always be referenced to ensure you are providing the correct notice period.


How will my payments cease at the end of my tenancy?

You should contact your bank directly to cancel your standing order once the last payment has left your account.



What should I do with the keys at the end of the tenancy?

Unless specific instructions are given by your landlord keys should be taken to your local Payton Jewell Caines office. Please ensure all sets are returned, a receipt is obtained and that this happens on or before the last day of your tenancy. Please note that you will be liable for rent on a daily basis until the keys are returned.


What expenditure should I expect at the end of the tenancy?

As an outgoing tenant, you can expect the bond returned in full if the condition of the property is equivalent to when you first moved in. Any discrepancies between the check in and check out may result in deductions from your deposit.


What is the Tenant Deposit Protection Scheme?

Where your property is managed your deposit will be protected by the Deposit Protection Scheme. In line with legislation introduced in April 2007 all deposits being paid by a tenant for an Assured Shorthold Tenancy must be registered with a recognised deposit protection scheme within 30 days. Where appropriate, Payton Jewell Caines will register the deposit on your behalf.


When is my deposit returned to me?

Once the check-out has been conducted to confirm that the property is of an acceptable standard and Payton Jewell Caines has received instructions regarding the deposit from the landlord, the money will be returned to you via the DPS, less any agreed deductions.This typically takes 10 working days and generally no more than 28 days. To speed things up ensure you use our Tenant Checklist to avoid any problems in the checkout process.


How do I renew my contract after the first fixed term?

Your tenancy will automatically roll on to a monthly periodic tenancy after the fixed term ends. However, should you wish to have another fixed term after this period for security, you should inform us 30 days prior to the end of your fixed term tenancy to allow enough time to arrange administration.